Make our home your home
KIA ORA! We are looking for Line Mechanics from New Zealand to help us empower South Australia. Our generous relocation package, salaries and benefits are a way to show that we’d love you to make our home your home.
As the state-wide electricity distributor, SA Power Networks is one of the largest employers in South Australia. We offer unrivalled opportunities to live and work in one of the world’s great regions.
The whole of South Australia is our home – we have depots right across the state. If you’re into surfing and great beaches, you might want to be by the coast. If you love the outdoors and want to try bushwalking, you might prefer a more remote area. We also have exciting wine regions and gorgeous mountain ranges. We have it all, and you can too.
The role - Line Mechanic
We need qualified Line Mechanics with a minimum of two years’ post-qualification experience. An SA Power Networks Line Mechanic is accountable, under the leadership and direction of their leader, to carry out duties associated with the construction, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of overhead and underground distribution systems – up to and including customer supply at service points.
There are many positions available over the next few years, across our metropolitan and regional depots in South Australia. Many of these locations are in our famous coastal towns and stunning wine regions.
Who is SA Power Networks?
We are South Australia’s electricity distributor – serving 1.7 million people across an area of 180,000 square kilometres and playing a leading role in our transformation to a net-zero renewable energy system.
We employ 2,500 people across more than 30 sites in South Australia. Our network stretches about 90,000 kilometres in length, with 400 zone substations, 650,000 Stobie poles and 77,000 transformers.
We’re the most efficient distributor in the National Electricity Market with a high level of service reliability and the best safety record in our industry.
A third of our customers already have rooftop solar and that means our network has a central and ongoing role to play in the energy transformation in South Australia, including the following:
- Enabling our customers to share the energy they generate and store
- Fuelling the electrification of transport
- Helping decarbonise our economy
You’ll be joining us at an exciting time. South Australia is leading the world in the clean energy transition, and SA Power Networks is currently at the centre of energy innovation. We’re launching world leading technology to dynamically manage solar, and in the future manage energy from home batteries and electric vehicles.
What we offer
For New Zealand residents we can offer Permanent and Term roles. Please talk to us about what suits you best and register for our Relocation Information Pack.
We offer a generous relocation package for every successful applicant relocating from New Zealand.
Visa – working in Australia
As a New Zealand citizen, you can live, work and study in Australia without restriction – you do not need a pre-arranged visa. New Zealand citizens are granted a visa upon entry into Australia, and your application for a Special Category Visa (subclass 444 Temporary Visa) is processed at the airport. Australian citizenship can be applied for after living in Australia for four years, without becoming permanent residents first.
If you are not a New Zealand citizen then we can offer you a 482 visa, which provides the following:
- You can live and work in Australia initially for up to four years, and during this time can travel to and from Australia as often as you like.
- After three years, you can apply for an Employer Sponsored Permanent Residency (PR) visa. That’s when you could become a permanent resident of Australia.
- Australian citizenship can be applied for after living in Australia for four years (with at least one year as a Permanent Resident).
- Leadership and career development opportunities
- 12% superannuation – 1% above current legislated employer contributions (similar to Kiwi Saver)
- Up to $800 in electricity reimbursements each year
- 17.5% leave loading, payable on annual leave
- Automatic coverage from SAPN’s income protection scheme
- 20 days annual leave and 12 days sick leave
- Paid parental leave (4 weeks) and maternity leave (12 weeks)
- Additional annual leave p/a available
- 9-day fortnight (includes one paid rostered day off)
- An industry-leading focus and reputation for safety and wellbeing
- Nationally recognised training
- Wages well above industry standards
- Generous relocation package
- Current NZ Electrical Registration with current Practising License
- Certificate in Electricity Supply (Line Mechanic Distribution) Level 4
- A minimum of two years’ experience including high voltage and overhead work
- Current full drivers’ licence (heavy traffic licence is beneficial)
- High voltage switching experience is beneficial
- Strong commitment to safe working practices
SA Power Networks is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages applications from all genders and people of Indigenous backgrounds.
Life in South Australia
Not only is Adelaide one of the most liveable cities in the world, but the whole state is a great place to live and work, raise a family and enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle. Find out more about life in South Australia.
Register your interest
If you want to know more about relocating to South Australia and our job opportunities, including relocation packages, please register for our Relocation Information Pack below.
Please contact our International Talent team with any questions after you receive your Relocation Information Pack.