Skip to content

If you touch something that gives you an electric shock or tingle, call us immediately on 13 13 66. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  

Feeling a shock or tingle when you touch an object in or around your property shouldn’t be ignored. It could be a warning sign of a dangerous electrical fault.  

If someone is receiving an electric shock, do not attempt to rescue them. Stay at least 10 metres clear and call triple 000 

What is an electric shock or tingle? 

An electric shock or tingle is a sudden discharge of an electrical current through your body that may feel warm, or like pins and needles. The sensation is hard to ignore. You should notice the difference between an electric shock and the shock you get from static electricity – the minor discharge you get when you’ve walked on wool carpet and then touch something metal. If you’re not sure, it’s better to err on the side of caution and report it to us on 13 13 66

What action should I take if I’ve had an electric shock or tingle?  

Immediately call us on 13 13 66 to report the nature of the electric shock or tingle. Don’t touch the appliance, or location again, until a crew attends to conduct a free inspection to determine if it is an electrical issue with our network, or whether it is on the private property side.  

Electrical issue from our network

  • If the cause is from a fault in the electricity network, our crew will repair the issue and restore your power, free of charge.  

Private property electrical issue 

  • If the crew determines that the issue is with the wiring, you will need to contact a certified electrical contractor to resolve the problem. The responsibility to do this, is on the property owner, or if you are a tenant, your landlord, to undertake and for the necessary repairs to address the issue. 

To ensure ongoing safety we may temporarily disconnect the power until repairs are carried out by our crew or by your certified electrical contractor. We understand that it can be inconvenient to be without power until the issue is resolved, but it’s essential that the property is safe before any reconnection takes place. 

What are common sources of shocks and tingles?  

You can get a shock or tingle from an electrical appliance, wiring, plumbing or metal building components. However, there are some common ones to look out for: 

  • metal taps and plumbing, particularly shower taps 
  • power points and light switches 
  • metal outdoor structures like sheds, roofing and gutters  
  • appliances like a kettle or toaster.  

How can I reduce the risk of electric shocks and tingles around my property? 

To avoid electrical incidents, have a licensed electrician complete all electrical work and regularly check the condition of electrical wiring. Also consider the following around your property: 

  • keep cords in good condition, making sure you replace any that are frayed or brittle. 
  • fix broken switches or power points (and keep them covered until repaired). 
  • keep portable appliances like radios, heaters, phones and hairdryers away from the shower or bath. 
  • make sure no spray cleaners or solvents are sprayed on switches or sockets. 
  • switch off an appliance at the wall outlet before it’s unplugged.
  • ensure all electrical appliances are in good condition and stored and used in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.