Skip to content

Modify your residential connection

If you're looking to increase your power supply, change your overhead connection to underground, or you need to modify your connection from single phase to multi phase, you'll find all the information you need below.

Due to the technical nature of the information we need, we recommend you have an electrician or electrical consultant complete the application on your behalf.

Getting your connection modified

  1. 1

    Complete the application either on our web form or, if you’re a registered electrician, on REX.

  2. 2

    We will make a technical assessment. We may contact you for further information and inspect your property.

  3. 3

    We will invite your electrician to book an appointment with us and we will perform the alteration work.

If we find we don’t need to perform any tasks, for example, we don’t need to modify your connection when the retailer alters your meter, then we will cancel your application.

How long will it take?

Up to 10 business days to respond to your application.
The work may take up to 12 weeks after our technical assessment.

What do I need to apply?

  • the full address of the property
  • your billing address
  • your contact details
  • site photos (examples 1, 2, 3)
  • your electrician’s details
  • the National Meter Identifier (NMI) of the property, which can be found on your electricity bill from your retailer
  • a list of fixed appliances, loads and generators (if any)
  • a list of off-peak appliances and loads (if any)
  • maximum demand of the installation

What if I want to cancel my application? Is there a fee?

You may cancel your application at any time.
If you did not reach the booking stage, we will not charge you a cancellation fee. If you have reached the booking stage or have booked an appointment with us, we will charge you a cancellation fee, which you can find in our Connections & Ancillary Network Services (Manual 18).

How much will it cost?

For detailed pricing information, refer to our Connections & Ancillary Network Services (Manual 18).

Is there any more information I should know?

If you require an increase in your supply as well as a change from single phase to three phase, all you need to do is apply to increase your supply.

Technical standards

Service & Installation Rules 12069KB PDF (Manual 32)

Electrical Contractor Handbook 1313KB PDF


Apply to modify your connection

We are unable to assist you with any meter alteration. Due to the Australian Energy Market Commission's (AEMC) Power of Choice initiative, you will need to contact your retailer to either install a smart meter or alter your current smart meter.

This requires the removal of the overhead service. Generally, two options are available for standard connections:

  • We install a new service point on an existing pole on the road verge adjacent to your property.
  • If you require no pole on the road verge adjacent to your property, underground power is extended across the road to a pillar installed inside your property, close to the side and front boundaries.

Charges will apply, which you can find in our Connections & Ancillary Network Services 1107KB PDF (Manual 18).

You need to organise an electrical contractor to install a mains cable from the pillar to your meter box to complete the connection.