Skip to content

Our role

A leader in delivering energy services that customers value.

We’re a key player in South Australia’s energy industry as the state’s sole electricity distributor. Put simply; we build, maintain and upgrade the poles, wires and substations that deliver power to around 900,000 homes and businesses.

We also:

  • operate a 24-hour faults and emergencies hotline
  • maintain street lighting for local councils and government
  • take readings of traditional SA Power Networks’ electricity meters.

Our Customer Charter

Our full Customer Charter (PDF 8.8MB) outlines what you can expect from us as well as what we need from you to provide and maintain a safe and reliable power supply.

Read our simplified one-page Customer Charter (494KB).

Our past

With roots in the privately owned Electric Supply Company, the Electricity Trust of South Australia (ETSA) was formed by the State Government in 1946 and was responsible for providing electricity across the state.

In 1996 deregulation of the industry began. The State Government formed ESTA Corporation and electricity assets were separated into general, retail and transmission entities with ETSA Utilities responsible for electricity distribution. In 1999 the electricity industry was privatised and ETSA Utilities was sold to the CK Group.

In September 2012, ETSA Utilities was renamed SA Power Networks to clearly reflect our focus on serving business and residential customers in metropolitan, regional and remote South Australia.

Today, SA Power Networks Group is 51% owned by CK Infrastructure Holdings Limited (CKI) and Power Assets Holdings, who are part of the Cheung Kong Group of companies., the remaining 49% is owned by the consortium PIKA HoldCo.

Our future

We know that your energy needs will continue to evolve as technology does. We’re thinking proactively about what the future holds and how we can best meet your needs and expectations. Our Future Operating Model 6630KB PDF provides insight into how our business will change over time to provide better solutions for a world reliant on virtual power plants, electric vehicles and smart appliances.