AEMC - Power of Choice
Metering changes in SA
As the electricity distributor in South Australia, SA Power Networks provides you with a range of services, one of which is changing.
Traditionally, we’ve been responsible for installing, maintaining and reading your electricity meter.
Due to changes in the National Electricity Rules, Retailers (the people who manage your electricity bill) are now responsible for installing all new and replacement meters for residential and small business customers.
All new and replaced meters will be required to meet a new minimum standard with increased functionality compared to our traditional meters.
Digital electricity meters will have key attributes including:
- Remote reconnection and disconnection capabilities
- Remote data reading capabilities
- Interval data capabilities
When you switch to a digital meter, it means that we (SA Power Networks) will no longer be responsible for it.
From 1 December 2017, when you connect a new property, change your service (i.e. install solar) or your meter needs replacing, you’ll need to switch to a digital meter, which can be organised through your nominated Retailer.
As long as your SA Power Networks meter remains, we will continue to look after it and undertake meter reads.
- Understanding metering changes
- Metering Contestability Q&As - Customer - 1 December 2017
- Connection services information
- The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) has also released information to help you understand your rights when getting a smart meter
If you require more support, please call us on 13 12 61.
- Electrician - understanding metering changes summary
- Electrical Contractor Handbook
- Metering Contestability Q&As - Electrician - 1 December 2017
- For help using REX, please see our Quick reference guide or our External REX Guide for Electrical Contractors
- Please also visit our Industry News page for the latest updates.
- Retailer and Meter Services Provider Handbook
- For help using REX, please see our External REX Guide for Retailers
- Please also visit our Industry News page for the latest updates