Skip to content

Keeping safe around electricity

Report shocks and tingles

It could be a warning sign of a dangerous electrical fault that shouldn't be ignored.

Have you ever experienced a shock or tingling sensation while touching a kitchen, bathroom or garden tap ? 

It could be a sign that the property’s electrical system has a damaged earth connection, causing issues in the electricity supply and resulting in metal objects such as pipes, taps and appliances to become live with very low-level electricity. Left unattended, it may become a serious issue. 

If you experience any issues you should: 

  • Immediately let us know on 13 13 66, available 24/7 
  • Don’t touch the appliance, or location again, until confirmed as safe 

A crew will attend to conduct a free inspection to identify if it is a problem with our network connection, something on the consumer side of the electrical installation, or nothing at all (eg static from carpet).  

To ensure ongoing safety, we may temporarily disconnect the power.  

Depending on the cause, we’ll either fix the issue, or let you know if you need to arrange your own electrician.

The bottom line is simple; if you get any shocks or tingles at your property, don’t hesitate - give us a call straight away. 

We are currently sending SMS and emails to customers in a few suburbs to remind South Australians of the potential dangers, and of the importance of letting us know when something is wrong. You can report faults to us even if you don’t personally get one of these messages. 

Follow these handy tips to ensure the safety of yourself and others around your home or workplace: safety around your property