Safety around your property
Follow these handy tips to ensure the safety of yourself and others around your property:
- If you experience a shock, zap or tingling sensation when touching an electrical appliance or electrically conductive surfaces such as taps and showers, it could be a sign you have an electrical wiring issue. In this case you should:
- Immediately let us know on 13 13 66, available 24/7
- Don’t touch the appliance, or location again, until it is confirmed as safe
- A crew will attend to conduct a free inspection to determine if it is a problem with our network, or whether it is on the consumer side
- To ensure ongoing safety we may temporarily disconnect the power
- Depending on the cause, we'll either fix the issue, or let you know if you need to arrange your own electrician
- Keep cords in good condition, making sure you replace any that are frayed or brittle.
- Fix broken switches or power points (and keep them covered until repaired).
- Keep portable appliances like radios, heaters, phones and hairdryers away from the shower or bath.
- Switch off and unplug any appliances that cause you to feel a tingle when touched and refrain from using taps and showers until assessed as safe by an electrical tradesperson.
- Make sure no spray cleaners or solvents are sprayed on switches or sockets.
- Switch off an appliance before it’s unplugged.
- Ensure all electrical appliances are double insulated or earthed.